The one thing I regret is that I will never have time to read all the books I want to read.
--Francoise Sagan

Monday, July 12, 2010

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffeneger

I honestly don't know what to say about this book. It is quite possibly the strangest thing I've ever read. I was drawn into it immediately...hooked by the mystery surrounding the older set of twins, Edie and Elspeth...Why were they estranged? How was Jack involved?...And I was curious about what would happen to the younger twins in London. Would they uncover this deep, dark family secret??? Would the course of their lives be changed forever???

There was no way I could have anticipated what actually unfolded. It was far too bizarre. I feel like I was set up to expect one thing, and what I got was totally different. As far as I can tell, the climax had nothing whatsoever to do with the Edie and Elspeth situation Niffenegger set up at the beginning of the novel. Eventually, you do find out what happened between them, but it's insignificant by that point. It's been overshadowed. The characters themselves don't seem to care about it, and I was too preoccupied with the crazy, supernatural twist things had taken. It almost seems like it could have been two separate novels...or maybe even three...

I thought the ending was not only strange, but it was also unsatisfying. Strange would have been ok...but I was left with so many questions, and so much of what happened didn't add up for me. I spent the day after I finished reading trying to untangle it all in my mind...to no avail...I'm still just as perplexed as I was when I read the final page.

3 comments:

  1. I agreed that the end was unsatisfying, but even more so for me it was angering. I think I was angry at one of the characters for the actions that had happened at the end. It was a book that got me worked up so that I didn't want to stop reading it so that I could nkow what this tangled mess would produce in the end...and then when the end came it was no what I wanted or expected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz ~ Were you mad at Robert or Elspeth??? We'll have to discuss this one next time we get togther...I hate to give too much away here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was more angry at Elspeth I think. You know- my parents almost named me Elspeth. :) We definitely must discuss the book!

    ReplyDelete