The one thing I regret is that I will never have time to read all the books I want to read.
--Francoise Sagan

Monday, April 19, 2010

Final Thoughts on Solitude

I finished The Solitude of Prime Numbers yesterday afternoon, but I had to live with it for a while...let it settle a little bit...before I could post. Ultimately, it reminded me of a quote from Plato: "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Alice and Mattia are both extremely flawed, selfish, damaged characters, but Giordano made me care about them. I didn't always love the decisions they made or the way they treated the people in their lives (What Alice does to Sol is horrible!), but I loved them. I read wanting happiness and healing for them...wanting redemption...

Now...even after a day of reflection...I'm still not entirely sure what to make of the ending. In some ways, it was just right, but at the same time it was somehow...unsatisfying. It definitely didn't end as I hoped it would, but maybe this ending is better than the one I'd imagined...

No comments:

Post a Comment